Training on Issues around Novel Psychoactive Substances & Legal Highs
There are currently six available sessions of training available on Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS)/ Legal Highs running this financial year in Leeds.
This course utilises the most current research and knowledge available to examine the rapidly changing drug trends in the UK. In particular the training will examine how New Psychoactive Substances, sometimes referred to as 'Legal Highs' have come to prominence and why they are so difficult to legislate against.
Attendees will examine the increasingly important role that the internet is playing in relation to the supply, distribution and manufacture of drugs.
The course is suitable for all staff that require accurate, relevant and up to date information on new drug trends and how to assess and advise clients who may be engaged in the use of these 'new generation' substances. The content will help attendees develop and build upon new and existing skills in order to effectively respond to NPS use.
The training is delivered by an experienced practitioner who has worked with new and emerging substances in both a front-line and strategic capacity for over a decade.
• To explore how and why patterns of drug use are changing
• Give historical context into where NPS came from
• To examine the impact of New Psychoactive Substances
• To gain an understanding of the problems associated with poly-drug use
• To understand the role that the internet is playing in changing drugs culture
• Assessing for Novel Psychoactive Use – asking the right questions
• To explore appropriate harm reduction advice to give to those using particular substances
• To understand where further help, information and advice is available
AB2 Support individuals who are substance users
AA1 Recognise indications of substance misuse and refer individuals to specialists
AD1 Raise awareness about substances, their use and effects
HSC33 Reflect on and develop your practice
The course are free and can be booked via the online booking system here http://www.leedsdrugportal.com/training-courses/. All courses are being delivered at Technorth Learning Centre, Harrogate Road, Leeds, LS7 3NB.